It has been a little chilly and rainy for the past week (or more) and so I kind of had to play with the weather for this week's check-up. I was going to do it yesterday, but decided to wait until today since it was supposed to be a couple of degrees warmer. Thankfully, it also was no where near as windy!
Hive #1 (the one in the nuc) got transferred from the nuc to a full 8-frame brood box today. I spotted the queen (she's one of the biggest I've seen yet!) and I have eggs, worms, and capped brood in addition to some capped honey! The five frames from the nuc are not entirely filled in with comb yet, but they are coming along. The bees where busy bringing in some awesome bright orange pollen. I wonder what plant it is coming from? The dandelion pollen is the bright yellow stuff (I would assume)--and my dandy's haven't grown back immensely since the last mow--been too busy raining I assume.
Hive #2 doesn't seem to be thriving quite as briskly as Hive #1--but once again, there I have brood of all three stages. I didn't spot the queen, though I did the last time I was in this hive.
This being only the third time I've played in this batch of bees I'm pleased to say that I haven't gotten stung yet and that I'm getting some of my confidence back where I don't get trembly at the notion of poking my hands into the bee's habitat. I didn't dawdle over the job today because it is cool and I didn't want the brood getting too cold; particularly in Hive #2 where the number of bees seems to be less than in Hive #1.