First then, Hive #1 swarmed. Roughly two weeks after I had removed a super of honey off it, at which time I almost spit the hive, the bees swarmed. If I hadn't been mowing that day and almost zipped face first into the cluster in the little maple in the corner, I probably would have lost them. At any rate, the Lord's providence never ceases to work wonders and I not only did not hurtle myself into a large mass of bees, but I was able to swiftly and easily capture the swarm. I knew it came out of Hive #1 after doing a quick check of my hives while the swarm was busy settling into the nuc.
Two weeks later, I transferred them from the nuc into Hive #3...and that is the way I ended up with three hives at this point and time. By the way, Hive #1 has most certainly re-queened itself...and I'm not one hundred percent sure that Hive #2 hasn't also swarmed. When I went through my hives yesterday, it seemed to me that #2 seem oddly low on bees--despite the fact that there is all three stages of brood quite predominately displayed and everything else seems fine.
Now, back in time a bit. A day or two before July the 4th (or was it a day or two after? I'm forgettin'), I gathered my first harvest of honey ever! The super I snitched came off Hive #1...and they've just about gotten another one filled up--but I plan on leaving, if at all possible, two supers on each hive in order to (hopefully) over winter them with more success this year. As it is said that each colony requires roughly 60 lb.s of honey to overwinter and if my supers hold around 20-30 pounds, plus whatever ends up in the brood nest area...maybe it'll do it.
Anyway...since I do not have an extractor, I used the gravity method.
I have a few ideas for doing things a little better next time around, but for a first harvest, I'm pretty pleased. I harvested honey...and it's SO sweet! (In more than one way. ;) )