The original spark was plain and simple a desire for a healthier atmosphere in my bedroom. Afterall, I suspect that at least one of the two carpets in my room was nearing 100 years old, if not already attained the century mark. Anyway, they are both definitely over 50 years old and it's probably self-explanatory as to why we wanted to remove them.
With the removal of the carpet we decided to paint the floor...and then I kinda got this bee in my bonnet to repaint my entire room. It's been a nice shade of light blue ever since Daddy retired (read 11 years) and I was ready for a bit of a change. If it weren't for the fact that the paint was scuffed and cracked and peeling, I might not have even considered the idea, but there you have it. I wanted to completely make over my room. Kinda spur of the moment, I suppose, but it happened.
I started out removing EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) from my room.
Before: (excuse the excess clutter please; I have also been in the middle of season clothing change and not keeping my room overly pristine partly because I knew the rug removal and floor painting was coming.)
I acquired the extra furniture since returning from Florida when Katherine rearranged her room the last time. And used every single drawer.
In order to (maybe) give you a better idea of the size of the room (it's the largest room upstairs--I have the smallest room in Florida, so I got the biggest up here), here are a few "after removal"shots and in-progress shots:
Well, this is where they were:
The next morning, I woke up late (was up late as we didn't get finished painting and cleaning up until after 11). After a rather slow morning, I went upstairs to see what I thought of the room in the daylight.
I ran into town and picked up two more gallons of the ivory (turns out I only needed one) and put a third coat on the walls. It had become quite apparent that two coats wasn't going to do it.