With the departure of cousin David and his wife, Kayla after a slow, sleepy kind of week, I determined to return myself with full force to the tasks at hand. Monday afternoon was pretty much shot as far as work goes because Savannah and I both had chiropractor appointments and spent the rest of the day poking around Jo-Ann's and the Hobby Lobby we just discovered! I like Hobby Lobby better than Jo-Ann's; but Jo-Ann's has wool and linen which Hobby Lobby does not.
I might as well talk about what prompted that last comment...this upcoming October we shall be attending a Reformation Day Faire (Lord willing and the creek don't rise--er, the car works), and we 'have' to have costumes. (By the way, I really don't like that word because when Savannah makes something it isn't a 'costume'--it is a historically researched garment! See Liberty Seamstress for more information...) She is going to make me a 16th century Flemish peasant outfit. I know next to nothing about the Flemish, but I really liked the look. To be accurate it needs to be constructed out of wool and linen. I'm not quite sure what Savannah is making for herself, but she bought some gorgeous brown and green brocade (I talked her into it--not that I had to twist her arm too hard). However, she has decided that that isn't going to work for what she was planning--so she's going to go back to making something out of the brown wool (which when we got the brocade she said I could have), so I get the red wool afterall!! (It has to be purchased...but she has a 40% coupon and we've made a deal that I'll buy it--like she bought the brocade.)
Okay, so anyway...Monday morning I rode Snip, yesterday morning I rode Snip and this morning I rode Snip. Of those three days, he behaved the best today. Patience and kind words work better than impatience and harsh jerks. I even turned today at a lope!! (Confidence returneth...)
Yesterday afternoon I mowed for about four hours straight. When I first started, the belt wasn't slipping in the high grass like it usually does and the engine sounded great. After a couple rounds though it started behaving more like I'm used to--then it got worse. For some reason (providence you know), I remembered something that Daddy had said about not running right if the mower deck wasn't level. So, I went to the barn and realized that one of the back tires needed to be aired up. I aired it up and the thing worked better--and then the belt started slipping more again. I reached down and palpated the tire. It was soft again. After that I just left the air compressor on and made a pit stop every 15 minutes or so to air the tire up. I suppose it must have a puncture in it. Anyway, I got the grass mowed.
Before coming in for the evening...a very dirty Racheal and her sister Savannah moved the chicken coop. It was high time it got shifted. I came out with a grand total of 13 eggs and a gouge in the side of my thumb from the water tank mechanizism.
I was planning on building fence this afternoon...but just as I was fixing to get into the truck it started sprinkling--then I heard it start actually raining on the barn's tin roof, so I quickly hurried back to the garage. I decided not to go afterall...
Instead, Savannah and I went over together and brought back her sewing stuff. I, of course, had to sit and play "Dixie" on the piano. I like my arrangement best on that piano because it's more 'tinny'. At least, I guess that's why...
We also inventoried our reenacting stuff. This way we now have a real live check list instead of something I just scrawl down the day or so before we head out.