I got going at a bit more normal time that I did yesterday morning. (I went to bed early Sunday evening and got up late next morning!) However, it was still almost ten by the time I got around to breakfast because I had some unexpected chicken emergencies to deal with. First off, while actually on my way to the pens to feed the heifers, I noticed a dead rooster. (Third one in two days...they sure enjoy killing each other off!)
I jumped out of the golf cart, entered the coop and was fixing to exit when I noticed another rooster hunkered down--with a bloody back. "You'll be next," I said. Then I scooped him up and tucked him under my arm. I was surprised with how little fight he put up. I hauled the dead rooster to the burn hole and went into the house, where I hollered at Savannah to come help me. I decided that I would go ahead and move the two hens from the 'hospital' back in with the other hens--along with the one Rhode Island Red in with the roosters--and put the rooster in the hospital after we doctored him. Well...the hens attacked the black and white one so severely that I almost immediately removed her again. So, she and the rooster are sharing the kennel now.
I went and fed the heifers. On my way back, I noticed the little hen (the one they had almost killed previously) was already bleeding again. I almost got mad. I charged into the coop (if one can be said to 'charge' into that thing seeing how it's built) and grabbed her up. "You're not going to kill her after I saved her life!" Once again, I went into the house and hollered for Savannah. She came and we put some 'goop' (sulfer based stuff) on the little henny's head. Since there isn't enough room in the kennel for three birds, we placed a laundry basket over her. She's tame enough that I can grab her pretty easy so she's the best one to tuck under a laundry basket--besides the fact that she's the smallest. Still, I need to rig up something better.
I came in, changed my shirt--since it had enough sulfer stuff on it to make me reek all day, ate breakfast, and washed the dishes. Then I went for a ride. The left stirrup is a bigger problem than the left one--and I believe Savannah figured out the problem. It is actually too high, so it's twisting my foot around. I have gotten cramps in my arch and up the back of my leg both times I've ridden in my new saddle. The right one fits better since that leg is shorter by a little bit.
After lunch and dishes and a few minutes of TV while finishing my coffee, I played my cello for nigh on an hour and then my guitar for about 45 minutes. From there I got the hair brained idea to go test the lawn mower again.
I went out, aired up the back tire that insists on going flat quickly, hopped on, turned the fuel line on, and cranked it up. It took a tiny bit of messing with the throttle to get it to come all the way to life, but I got it. I backed out, engaged the blades, and took off. It didn't die on my today! I have no idea really why it died yesterday, but I'm just glad that it worked. I mowed the driveway first then moved into the yard. I didn't do behind the barn very well because there was too much stuff out and about that I need to pick up before next time. I got horrendeously gritty. (*big grin*) To such a degree in fact that I looked rather like I had a 5 o'clock shadow! Or at least a mustache...
Anyway, it is satisfying when stuff works for you. (Oh, and I did remember to shut the fuel line off this time!)