The modicum of sewing skills I had have actually been expanded somewhat I think, due to the creative process of stitching these mini dresses. I have actually learned how to design on my own (to a small extent). One of the latest outfits I made is proof of that.
I decided that I wanted to make a flounced Civil War dress (if I had been thinking a little clearer, I would have made cap sleeves rather than long sleeves and made a ball gown). We don't have a pattern with flounces like I was thinking, so I scratched my head, thought, gritted my teeth, marked the fabric, and cut it. I started with three flounces, but I had to go back and cut a forth one later (I'm so glad there was extra fabric!) Anyway, I'm pleased as punch and proud as a peacock over my flouncy blue dress. I have a few pictures of it here--forgive the pins, I haven't done the hand-work yet.