First, I was going to butcher my roosters (at that point there were 14) Monday. But, it didn't happen. I had to go to Smith's in the morning. In the afternoon, Savannah went to the chiropractor and I went over to our place and started working on the fence. I got a single H-frame built and started taking down a section of the chain-link. I got all the posts out, but because it was starting to thunder and was already 5:30 I didn't finish getting the fence out of the trees. (Which sounds really quite hilarious...but you know how scraggly stuff grows around the base of trees in a fence line, don't you?)
I got SO terribly frustrated digging the dead man hole because the dirt was so dry and fine that I could not get it out. That's a bit of an exaggeration because I finally did get it, but I was not in a pretty mood there for a few minutes.
Later, as I was wiggling the metal fence posts out, the guy who'd been driving around in the grove for a while drove by. He smiled real big and waved at me. I returned the grin and wave. Savannah and I laughed about it later, joking that the guy (a Mexican) was probably amused to see a white girl out there working so hard.
It was quite hot that day. It also rained that evening!
Second, I was going to butcher my roosters yesterday. By then there were only 7 left--I cannot keep that coon out of that coop! He got in around the door this time I'm pretty sure. However, once again, it did not happen.
I rode Snip in the morning. He behaved himself quite well for the most part. We loped once (a very short distance) and he didn't try to buck with me.
In the afternoon, Savannah was tied up doing something that I could not ask her to stop (I need a little help for the butchering process); so I instead put my mind and hands to the task of reenforcing the hen coop. I had forgotten that when I first got the chickens that I had brought some dog wire over here; I guess I was going to do something with it coop-wise.
I didn't have enough to do the entire thing, but cut in half longways it was perfect to do the long sides, coming up just over half way. I used a chunk of plastic chicken wire for the back. I wired the wire up on the inside, rather than the outside. I still have to figure something out for the front...
By the time Savannah and I were done with what had been occupying our afternoons, it was time for supper and it had started raining again. That's how come the roosters weren't butchered yesterday.
This morning, there were only 3 left--two holes in the coop and a pile of feathers being the only evidence of the criminal coon. Well, those three roosters are now dead, plucked, dressed, and in the freezer and crockpot.
I had to tighten the belt on the chicken plucker a couple of times, but once I got it tight enough it worked great; except that I don't think we scalded the birds quite long enough. Didn't really have enough to get the real swing of things again.
I showed Savannah how to dress them out. On the first one, I had forgotten that I needed to remove the craw before I gutted it, so I kinda messed that one up a bit; but I think it went real smooth for not having done this for over a year.
Now the "idea" in the title...
I remembered yesterday morning--could have been before I got up actually, I don't remember exactly--that there was a trap (like this one) in the barn someplace.
It's supposed to rain again this afternoon, so I think I may just go practice my guitar and cello. At the moment, it doesn't really look like it, but it'd probably be as soon as I got to work on the fence that it would start raining. It is certainly muggy enough to rain any moment. It's one of those days were you can just be standing there, doing absolutely nothing and have sweat running down your back in rivers.
Anyway, I'd better go give Charlotte her lunch bottle...