I spent Tuesday and Wednesday making a dress. It's red print. If you've known me for a while, you probably know red is my most favorite color, followed by certain bright, dark shades of green. But anyway, I actually remembered to take those boring in-progress pictures I love to post so well. I had intended on doing so when I make my outfits for the FCM conference, but I just didn't.
Alright then, to get started...
I went with option D--sleeveless with a full skirt. I love full skirts for a variety of reasons...and sleeves, particularly tight sleeves tend to bind me something terrible...
I laid the bodice out and pinned it, leaving room for the lining. (The bodice is lined and the skirt was supposed to be too, but I didn't do that.) I didn't cut anything yet and went to put the skirt on. I nearly freaked out because there wasn't enough fabric! I think I had already had two run-up-the-stairs-to-consult-with-Savannah moments already, but this one was the most agitated yet. "What do I do? I really want the full skirt."
Well, we got the pattern cover and a-duh! The bodice lining was to be cut from different cloth. The dress itself, minus the lining, called for 3 1/4 yards (or something like that), so that is why, with the proper measure of fabric, with the lining laid out on it as well, it didn't fit. I scrounged in the doll dress fabric foot-locker and came out with yard of black broadcloth that would work perfectly for the lining. Once I pinned the bodice on the fabric and cut it out, I was thrilled to see that I was able to add an extra four inches onto the skirt length! (The pattern came right to the middle of my knee and I wanted it longer than that.)
I ran into a 'problem' with the lining--one of the shoulders was shorter than the other, due to my lack of attention as to how well the material was lined up before I cut. (I usually always double check that sort of thing...) So, I improvised:
The next step, of course, was to sew the lining to the bodice. When I did across the front, I did a 1/4" seam rather than a 5/8" because I wanted just that extra little bit of height in the front.
Then I sewed the side seams...
I started to put the zipper in and was almost done with the second side when I realized it wasn't lined up right at the top. I am not quite sure how this happened because I thought I remembered checking that. I guess either I didn't or it slipped. Anyway, I had to rip that side out. I'm a pretty decent hand at ripping, but I don't like to do it. I've had far too much experience at it.
As it would turn out, I should have tried the dress on before I sewed the zipper in because it gaped something awful in the back. I had to rip the zipper out not quite half-way and put that upper part back in so it wouldn't gape any more. Well, maybe I won't do that again anytime soon!
The last thing to do was sew the hook and eye (or a straight catch in this case) at the top of the zipper. I hunted and hunted and hunted and finally located them--after going through the 'craft' drawers in Mama's room two to three times a piece. I found them in the button box...but there were not any black ones--which I really wanted. Anyway, I went ahead and used the silver ones.
Speaking of Wednesday...I received something in the mail yesterday that prompts a project all of it's own. :) When I embark on this particular project, be prepared for many odd, squinty expressions which shall not be captured on camera.