So...I tried my hand at some millinery work. I made myself a 1940's inspired hat. I say inspired, rather than "style" because I have never actually seen a hat from that period with the frippery I put on mine. I did use a pattern, but I did my own decoration to go with one particular outfit.
For a first try, I think it came out alright. It is rather time consuming adventure...I did have quite a bit of fun making mine (I got to use wire cutters as well as fabric and thread! :D)...but you'd probably like to see the pictures.
Before I get there though, here's a little "overview": I started with plastic coated copper automotive wire. Don't do that. Copper is over pliable for the job. Once I brought in the electric fence-wire, things went better. I spent almost all morning trying to get the automotive wire into the casing...and I still ended up like this:
It took a little, but I did get the electric wire in the casing. (Next time, presuming there is a next time, I think I shall make the casing a hair wider...)
All told, I really enjoyed making it. Keep me in mind if you want a hat made... ;) I'd love to give it a whirl again! (I might even take the time to do a little more research on millinery...) [Strange...I never thought I would be entertaining ideas of millinery.]